Supera Card – This is Limitless
SuperaCard is a revolutionary technology for high-security, high capacity, portable electronic data storage using our patented SHIM (Secure High-capacity Intelligent Media) technology. The mass storage available on the card allows infinite possibilities for secure data storage in multiple applications, such as healthcare, government, and finance.
SuperaCard, in conjunction with the SuperaPod (i.e., the reader/writer), creates a secure mechanism for authenticating, identifying and verifying an individual and their personal data, making communications and transactions safe. The user has ultimate protection against fraud and identity theft through the card’s multi-factor biometric enablement feature.
SuperaCard is backwards compatible with over 99% of the installed base of standard ID or credit card readers and scanners currently deployed throughout the world (RFID, magnetic stripe and chip). This backwards compatibility allows for a seamless adoption of Supera’s technology for more enhanced security, data storage and any digital form of full biometric and encryption schemes.
The Next Generation Patient Data Card
Today, the shift has been towards Patient Electronic Medical Records (EMR) where the doctor and the patient can view the health record online. However, sometimes this is not the best process. As such, providers are turning towards Patient Data Cards to store health information so the record is readily available when needed. The Patient Data Card is a PIN-protected smart card incorporating a microprocessor and protected by cryptographic functions.Today, most common Patient Data Card use smart card technology to provide e-health features. Smart cards have significant benefits versus magnetic stripe (“mag-stripe”) cards for healthcare applications due to their security and ability to protect a patient’s private information:
- Smart cards embedded with microprocessors can encrypt and securely store information, protecting the patient’s personal health information.
- Smart cards can allow access to stored information only to authorized users. For example, all or portions of the patient’s personal health information can be protected so that only authorized doctors, hospitals and medical staff can access it. The rules for accessing medical information can be enforced by the smart card, even when used offline.
- Smart cards support digital signatures, which can be used to determine that the card was issued by a valid organization and the data on the card has not been fraudulently altered since issuance.
- Smart cards use secure chip technology and are designed and manufactured with features which can help to deter counterfeiting and thwart tampering.
- Smart cards can help to reduce healthcare fraud by providing strong identity authentication of patients and providers.
In addition, the use of secure smart chip technology, encryption and other cryptography measures makes it difficult for unauthorized users to access or use information on a smart card or to duplicate cards.
The SuperaCard Health ID
While smart cards offer a superior solution to the existing mag-stripe card health card, they also have limitations:
- Existing Smart Technology has limited storage capabilities, around 128k bit (128,000 bits). As such limited health data, medical images, records can be maintained on the smart card.
- While Biometrics can be added to the smart card this is very limited, due to the storage capabilities, typically to only one form of biometric and limited biometric characteristics.
The SuperaCard Health ID was specifically designed to take the Patient Data Card to the next generation. The SuperaCard Health ID with its substantial storage capabilities can house numerous applications and biometrics, such as:
- Patient healthcare information, insurance, medical images, X-rays, EKG’s, government ID, prescriptions, etc., can be stored on the SuperaCard and updated after issuance, providing up-to-date and real-time information when a patient is receiving medical care from multiple providers or in an emergency situation.
- Multiple patient identification or patient record identification numbers can be written to the smart card, facilitating record exchange and assisting with coordination of care among multiple healthcare providers.
- Patient healthcare information can be written to and updated on the card by authorized healthcare providers, with updated information then available for both the patient and other healthcare providers (if authorized) to access.
The SuperaCard Health ID considerably helps to protect patients from identity theft; safeguard healthcare institutions from medical fraud and waste; and assist healthcare providers to adhere to HIPAA privacy, regulations and security requirements. The SuperaCard Health ID can support a wide variety of functions to improve healthcare provider and insurer processes and healthcare cost reductions, including:
- Quickly and accurately identifying patients, reducing medical identity theft and improving quality of care.
- Streamlining patient registration & patient information access at any points of care; reducing routine paperwork; eliminating human errors; decreasing medical errors and expediting claims
- Storing new applications & intrinsic information on SuperaCard.
- Supporting audit logging and remote access ID non-repudiation.